Due to modern IT techniques it is possible to use a 3D program that – according to the CT – helps us explore the patient’s bone structure and virtually place the implants we would like to insert. This way we can plan the most suitable implantation. After that using the software we can plan the drill guide that helps us insert the implants in the most ideal positions in the place of the missing teeth.
After planning we use a 3D printer to realize the guide that has some holes in it – small metal cylinders – that show the dentist the direction and the position he should place the drill bit.
The advantages of the procedure vs. the traditional techniques:
- the duration of the intervention becomes shorter
- we can avoid flap operation (the gingiva is separated of the bone tissue), this way the healing process will be faster and the swell will be smaller
- often the second operation – needed for the eliberation of the implants after their infiltration in the bones – can be avoided
- there is less chance for local inflammation or bacterial infection
- the implant can be positioned very precise avoiding neighbouring anatomical structures, nerves, teeth
- the number of eventual failures made by the dentist is very reduced
- the implant can be inserted into an ideal position regarding the protheses